The aims of a consultation are:
• To take an accurate medical history
• To find out what the client wants from the treatment
• To determine what the client needs from the treatment
• To ensure that the client is suitable for the treatment
• To determine any need for special care
• To establish a good rapport
• To answer the client’s queries
• To agree a treatment plan
Records of consultations and treatments must always be kept. A typical record card will contain personal and medical details on one side and a record of attendance and treatments on the other.
Medical details are needed to establish the presence or absence of any contraindications to a treatment or whether a medical referral may be necessary. This also gives you the opportunity to discover any conditions requiring special care and note any localised conditions affecting the treatment being carried out.