Stage Two: The Scalp
If your client suffers from epilepsy miss out 3-7, and take down your client’s hair if it’s been up.
1. Support the left side of the client’s head with your left hand. Work over the right side of the scalp with the right side of your right hand using a scrubbing motion (cup your hand in a letter C). Beginning in front of the ear move forward in a circular massage
movement to the hairline, then work diagonally backwards and down over the cranium to the middle of the base of the skull. Continue up the centre of the head from the back to the front at the hairline. Repeat this zig-zag pattern 3 times on both sides.
2. Cover the same zig-zag line with your fingertips, working in one place at a time using small, circular massage movements and moving the scalp against the skull. Lift your fingers off the scalp each time and move a little further along. Repeat until the entire
area has been covered. Massage only one area at a time and repeat 3 times on both sides.
3. Pluck the scalp with your fingers and thumbs, allowing the hair to slip through your fingers. Rapidly repeat firmly over the entire head with your fingertips in contact with the scalp. Continue for about 30 seconds.
4. Using the little fingers and sides of both hands, upwardly flick over the head, covering scalp. Continue for about 30 seconds.
5. As before, brush the client’s head from the sides of the head down behind the ears, down the neck and brush off down the arms.
Repeat 3 times.
6. Use each fingertip in a rapid drumming motion and tap firmly all over the scalp, like raindrops. Continue for 30 seconds.
7. Hack the head alternately and vigorously with sides of the hands and fingers. Hands should be relaxed with loose wrists and fingers and with each strike the hands should be pulled away with a flicking action. Continue for 30 seconds.
8. Bury your fingers in the client’s hair, next to the roots. Gently pull sections of the hair all over the head, unless the client is bald! Continue for 30 seconds.
9. Gently rake your fingers back through the hair with your fingertips in contact with the scalp. Continue for 30 seconds.
10. Move to the side of the client. Cup the base of their skull with one hand and place your other hand under their chin. Tilt their head back slightly so that the weight of the head is even between your hands. Ask them to take their tongue away from their
teeth. Gently but firmly lift their head up, hold for 5 seconds, then lower gently.
Repeat 3 times.